Friday, March 12, 2010

Bearhawk Crash Update


Thanks to the Bearhawk mailing list, I found out about an update to the only fatal accident involving the Bearhawk. The accident happened last year, and resulted in all three on board dying. Tests are starting to point to carburetor icing as the cause.

What is also interesting to me is that there is actual video from onboard the airplane. This is an excerpt from the report:

"The camcorder was largely destroyed by the accident; however, the tape (8mm video cassette) received only minor damage and was also sent to the Board's vehicle recorder for review..."

There are some interesting observations about the sounds they hear, and whether or not it came from the engine or the movement of the actual camera. It would be great if the NTSB had easy public access to this kind of evidence, and I'm considering filing an FOIA request for a copy when the investigation is concluded.

I'll post an update when the final report comes out, which should be in May of this year.

3 comments:

  1. You won't get a copy of the film if you file unless the family agrees to release it. The film is not public information, but belongs to the estate of the camera owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good site you've got here.. It's hard to
    find good quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!
    !

    Here is my webpage; parodies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own
    blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for
    something completely unique. P.
    S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!


    My site jnmassage.info

    ReplyDelete